FaceTime is a video chat application which has become quite popular among people in everyday life.
It is designed to support Apple devices which have iOS for mobiles and Os X for their computers. It helps users easily connect and establish contact with people all over the world.
The Macintosh which is also known as Mac is a variety of computers which is designed by Apple and it was introduced in the year 1984.
How do we set facetime up for mac?
Setting up FaceTime on a Mac is a very simple and uncomplicated process.
In order to do so, you’ll need an Apple ID along with a good internet connection to minimise any delays.
- You’ll have to open up the app on your Mac. It is usually found in your dock but in case it’s not present there, all you need to do is search for it in the Applications folder.
- Make sure your FaceTime option is switched on if it says it is not.
- Go ahead and enter your Apple ID and password to log in.
- If you want to make sure that only certain specific people can reach you, just go to FaceTime > Preferences and you can choose whether all the email addresses which are associated with your Apple ID can be used for FaceTime. You can deny access to people by removing their email addresses.
How to receive calls with FaceTime?
One of the initial things you need to make sure is that all the users that are using the app have internet connectivity.
You can make calls by contacting someone’s email address, phone number or with their Apple ID by adding all the details properly in your FaceTime settings.
After that, just go to your contacts and search for the person that you would like to call. You need to click on their contact profile and select a camera icon which represents the FaceTime call option.
If you want to receive a call on Facetime, you will see a pop up window if the app is open or a notification if the app is closed on your MAC. You can see who is calling you in this way if they are within your contacts.
To take the call you need to select the accept option which shows up and to end it you need to click on the red hang up button denoted by a handset.
In order to stop receiving FaceTime calls on Mac, users can either choose to go to FaceTime preferences and sign out of their account which is under settings or they can go to the FaceTime app and click on Turn FaceTime off.
This doesn’t provide users with notifications when calls are coming in and it looks as though they are not being answered.
Calls can individually be blocked as well by going to a specific contact and tapping the Block caller option.
How to use FaceTime?
When you are on a FaceTime call, you can do various things while you either opt to use audio and video or only audio as you converse with another person.
- When a person within a group starts speaking, their video window becomes bigger in order to let other individuals know who the speaker is. There is a way to deselect this option and that can be done by going to FaceTime >Preferences > Settings and deselecting the option which says Speaking under Automatic Prominence.
- You also have the option of being able to keep your call window on top of any other application which you may be on by choosing Video and clicking on Always on Top.
- Recent calls can also be cleared by choosing FaceTime and clicking on Remove All Recents.
- If you want to view your video call in full screen or split screen on your Mac, just click the green button on the top left corner of the window. You can change the orientation by rotating two fingers on your trackpad or by moving the arrow over the picture-in-picture window and selecting the option. You can switch from your rear camera to the front camera at any time.
- Pausing your video can be done by clicking on the yellow minimize button which is located at the top left corner of the FaceTime window or by shifting to another app.
- A user can mute themselves by hovering their arrow over the call window and clicking on the mute button. They can unmute themselves the same way.
- Facetime has an option to link all your devices in a way where you can also call any of the Apple devices you own by using the same Apple ID.
Other interesting things we can do to customize and make the most of FaceTime is changing ringtones, clicking live photos and using various different effects which are provided.
- To change your ringtone, you need to go to FaceTime > Preferences, then click Settings. You’ll have to choose the Ringtone pop-up menu which shows up and select the ringtone you want to change it to.
You can even assign a specific ringtone for a contact by finding the person and just clicking on edit. Scroll to ringtone in order to give them one.
- If you want to take a live photo during a FaceTime video call, you’ll be required to select the FaceTime window for a one on one call, or double-click the video of the person you would like to take a Live photo of or you can even use the touch bar where you click on a white circle which is shown. The photo will immediately be available in the photos app after it has been clicked.
How to handle problems with FaceTime on Mac?
There are many issues which may occur in regards to FaceTime not working properly. A few things you can try in order to avoid or fix these concerns are,
- Make sure that you and the person you are trying to call are connected to the internet properly.
- Check if your Apple ID, email address or phone number has been verified and is valid.
- Ensure that the person you are calling has not blocked you or vice versa.
- Make sure that your location, date and time zone has been correctly stated and fix it by going to FaceTime Preferences and change your location along with the date and time if you need to do so.
- Try signing out, relaunching or reinstalling the app.
- Check to see if you have the appropriate software installed and if you have a firewall as this may be the reason you are facing a few problems.
- Make sure that the servers are up and that FaceTime isn’t down.