Facetime not working?
We are here to help. Learn the ways to fix facetime.
A lot of us go through problems while we use FaceTime. Here are a few ways to ensure that FaceTime is always up and running on our devices. If these fixes don’t work for you. You can try facetime alternatives also.
Facetime Not Working: Solutions
Network connectivity issues –
- In order to use FaceTime, users need to make sure they have a good broadband connection either through their WiFi or cellular data network.
- Connection and audio quality issues may arise because FaceTime may not be able to connect to the internet properly. Test out your internet connection by opening a fresh page.
- Your WiFi is the most suitable to have FaceTime calls over as it has a stable network. Users can also use their cellular data networks, though carrier charges may apply.
Restart or Reboot your device –
- Users can try restarting or rebooting their devices in order to try and make FaceTime work properly again.
- Make sure that there are no apps running in the background and that data or information isn’t compromised or lost while doing this. In case the device is stuck and isn’t working, users can force restart it.
Make sure FaceTime isn’t down –
- Sometimes, the FaceTime servers may be down which could be the reason as to why FaceTime is suddenly not working.
- You can ask around or check the status of FaceTime on Apple’s System Status website. This website can give users information on the status of many other apps from Apple as well. All that users can do in this case is to wait for Apple to fix this issue and come up with a solution to this problem.
Check if FaceTime is available at your location –
- People need to make sure that FaceTime is available and that it works in their geographical location. FaceTime does not work in a few countries around the world as it doesn’t support every cellular network.
- You can go to Apple’s support website and check out whether FaceTime works in your country on their wireless carrier page.
Update Your Device –
- If your Apple device is outdated or old, you may not be able to access and have Group FaceTime chats as it may not be compatible with the device you have. You need to have iOS 12.1.4, macOS Mojave 10.14.3, or anything above this version.
- Make sure you keep your Apple device updated to the latest OS version in order to ensure that there are no problems that may come up due to software issues.
- You need to make sure that people you are planning to call have also updated their devices to the latest version.
- To make sure your device functions with the latest update, go to System Preferences and click on software update if you’re on a Mac. On your iPad or iPhone, you will have to go to Settings > General and then click on the software update.
Check for Incorrect Personal Details –
- Some users end up giving the wrong details or phone number which may end up causing problems. This will not let you receive calls as the Apple ID or number which you have provided is incorrect and other people will not have any way of contacting you.
- You can go to your FaceTime settings and change these details in case they have been entered incorrectly.
Date and Time Settings –
- Users need to set the date and time automatically on their devices if FaceTime keeps crashing.
- On a Mac, you need to go to System Preferences and go to Date & time. Select your time zone and automatically enable your device’s date and time by ticking the box.
- If you are trying to enable these settings on an iPhone or iPad, you have to open your settings and go to General. Select Date & Time and turn on the option that allows you to set it automatically.
Disable FaceTime Temporarily –
- People can disable FaceTime temporarily on their devices by going to their FaceTime settings. Users can turn FaceTime on or off by doing this.
- When users want to turn FaceTime on, they will have to sign in with their Apple ID again.
Restart FaceTime by Signing in and out –
- You can try to fix and restart FaceTime by signing out of your FaceTime account and sign in again later.
- Make sure that your Apple ID is correct and confirm that all your details have been entered properly while signing in and out.
Check your Camera or Microphone –
- Many users face issues related to not being able to hear or see the other people that they are calling. This could be an issue related to either your camera or microphone or the other person that you’re calling.
- The easiest way to check and resolve this is to open your device’s camera and microphone and test whether it is working by recording something. You can use the camera application to do this. Replay the video after you are finished testing and check for any issues.
- You can contact Apple support to get your camera or microphone fixed in case there are any problems.
- Make sure your camera and microphone haven’t been disabled in your settings, as this could be one reason why people can’t see or hear you when you call them.
- All you need to do is a swipe or just hover your mouse over the window in order to access more features and options related to setting FaceTime up. You will see the camera and the microphone button there. Just click on their icons to switch between turning them on or off.
Ensure that there isn’t a Firewall blocking FaceTime –
- Firewalls or security options that have been enabled could be blocking FaceTime.
- If you have third party firewalls installed on your device, it could be the reason as to why FaceTime hasn’t been able to run properly on it.
- These problems caused by firewalls can easily be fixed by opening ports, checking with the company that the firewall is from, or by going to Apple’s firewall support page which can give you instructions on what to do. This can help you figure out how to unblock FaceTime.